Sunday, March 15, 2009

Humans and Guns just don't mix

Really. and I'll explain why, but first, let me paint the picture.

I am living in a good sized apartment complex (that sports at least 7 different floor plans. I kid you not - and I have yet to speak to anyone hear who knows for sure just how many there really are!) The bulk of the apartments are in a large, 2 story u-shaped building. Behind the U-shape is a smaller L-shape which houses, in the deepest corner, my little efficiency.

I happen to have a killer panoramic view of the mountains from my large picture window. However, directly beneath said window is the parking lot to a popular hotel. which is why you will see in the photo of my room a curtain rod half way up, covered in fabric to block that particular view. Which is just fine. the window ledge is low, so Buttercup can rest her chin on it while she stares at people walking around the lot or around the hillside to our left.

So...Friday night. I am happily ensconced in my new bean bag chair (in pink, of course) reading and contemplating when I should take the dog out for her last pee break for the evening...and I hear what sounds like 2 dogs fighting in the parking lot. It was hard to get a clear picture of what was going on because Buttercup was set off by the commotion and was barking her thoughts on the situation. But I could very clearly hear a woman screaming hysterically and a very angry man shouting as well. I believe there was at least one more man, but it was hard to tell what was going on as they were mostly just out of eyesight. The next thing I know is that the dog noise is over but Hysterical Woman is still screaming and Angry Man is now shouting "I'm gonna kill him! I'm gonna kill him!".

Then there was a gunshot. I don't believe anyone was actually shot because Hysterical Woman was now only shouting "you're gonna get arrested! You're gonna get arrested!" Angry Man is a little calmer now when he says "I won't kill him..." but there is still a lot of shouting. (I'm hoping the dogs were hiding in the trucks, cuz these guys were crazy). In less than 5 minutes 2 cop cars pull into the hotel entrance, killing their lights and sirens. As they wrestle with Angry Man and shout "drop the gun!Drop the gun!", SEVEN more cars drive up and attend to the situation. I gotta give them credit, they take gunfire seriously here and they acted fast. Of course, now Angry Man is Scaredy Man cuz he's yelling "don't hurt me! Don't hurt me!"

What is the point of having a gun? To scare a dog, piss off the neighbors and get arrested? Sure seems to confirm once again that humans are not evolved enough to take on the responsibility of owning firearms.

I wonder if I can get bullet-proof glass installed in my window?

***
On the bright side, weather has been an amazing experience. We haven't had the snowfall that Ashland, OR has had (darn it) but what we have had has been fascinating. Big fat flakes one moment, sunshine the next. Same days as the Hysterical Woman and Angry Man story, the snow would vary from gentle flakes to a full-on flurry, obliterating the mountains. The ground was coated and I thought, well, looks like it will be white for a while...but 45 minutes later, the snow has stopped and the ground snow is almost completely melted. Then beautiful swirly clouds lay amongst the mountain bases with thunderheads above and an hour later, there is sun breaking through.

I remember Mom describing how fast the weather changes here, but I guess I thought she was exaggerating because this has been a real surprise to me. And the light! Man o man! The light is impressive. Just before sunset, trees seem to glow. Guess my words aren't going to really paint the picture well, so I'll just leave it that I am obsessing with what my window has to offer me on a daily basis. And don't get me started on that magnificent moon that hugged the mountains last Tuesday! *sigh* It's pretty pretty. Can't wait to experience spring now since I am told that it is really beautiful and I am beginning to see that the locals aren't exaggerating.

No comments:

Post a Comment